Friday, January 1, 2016

Ugly Sweater Thank You

Hi everyone! I hope you had a wonderful Christmas! As much as I enjoyed it, I'm sure glad it's behind us. Now we can feast our eyes on Valentine's Day stuff in the stores, lol! I'm super stoked to share with you some news... I've joined the House of Cards Design Team! Woot-woot! And this is my first House of Cards DT inspiration project and it's for our January challenge - Embossing and/or Colors! Come play with us using this inspiration photo:


a door tones

Isn't this a gorgeous mix of wintry colors?! I honed in on the two medium shades of green (hence the color of my ribbon) and created a super fun emboss-resist watercolor background that I'm calling an Ugly Sweater Thank You. Although I don't own any ugly sweaters, we had some 'ugly sweater fun' at work during the week of Christmas and that kind of stuck in my head. Realistically, not all ugly sweaters are ugly in my opinion, and that's where the inspiration for this card came from! I used black accents for definition - layering cardstock, sentiment die cut (with added Wink of Stella and Glossy Accents) and black pearls.


This background stamp is just amazing. This is the first time I've used it and I love that the lines are not all fluid; some of them look etched. Using my MISTI tool to get good even coverage, I stamped the background in Versamark on the smooth side of the paper and embossed it with clear embossing powder. I've been sporadically playing with the Brusho crystals over the past few weeks and still had them out, so I decided to sprinkle tiny amounts of several colors across the embossed paper and then spritz it good with water. I let the colors absorb into the paper (and under some parts of the embossing) and then gently blotted the excess water. I really love how it turned out... it's bold and has tons of ugly sweater character! :D


For the inside, I used a scrap left over from trimming the front piece, stamped a simple sentiment and layered the panel on black cardstock. Have I mentioned how much I l.o.v.e. how this turned out?!


Proud to enter my ugly sweater thank you card into the following challenges:

Recipe:
  • Cardstock/Paper: GKD Pure Luxury White cardstock, Marco's Black cardstock, Ranger Watercolor paper
  • Stamps: Hero Arts - Basic Grey Barista background stamp, WPlus9 Hand Lettered Thanks stamp set
  • Ink: Versamark; Brusho crystals- Turquoise, Leaf Green, Lemon, Ultramarine and Scarlet; Memento Tuxedo Black
  • Dies/Punches: WPlus9 Hand Lettered dies
  • Accessories: Prairie Bird Boutique green wrinked ribbon, MISTI, Wink of Stella, Glossy Accents, Doodlebug Designs black pearls

I sure hope you've found some inspiration to play with us in our Embossing and/or Colors challenge this month! The sky is the limit, so let's see what you got! ;) Thanks so much for stopping by today - we'll see you next time!
Scrappy hugs,
Leslie

24 comments:

FiestyCrafter (Tina) said...

What a beautiful "ugly sweater"! Of course I love your big bow :o)
Happy New Year!!

Merethe Arstein said...

Hi Leslie. Want to welcome you to the HOC DT team and hope you enjoy as much as I have done.
Lovely take on the colors for this months challenge.
Happy new year too.
Welcome to the HOC DT team Newbie
(✿*‿*) Ma (Merethe)
Teamie HOC
http://majaapia.blogspot.no/

Judy V said...

Happy New Year Leslie! So glad to have you on the HOC team with us! Love your card! Great technique used and your bow is gorgeous!
Judy HOC Teamie

Donna said...

Stunning card Leslie, I have a new Misti and Brusho's too, they are so much fun! This is one of my favorite techniques with the Brusho's so far. Happy New Year and welcome to the team! Donna HOC Teamie

sue t. said...

Love the background, great use of the brushos! Glad to have you on the team! An amazing start!

Mynn Kitchen said...

LOL--I LOVE the name you gave your debut card, Leslie! The colors are SO gorgeous--and that bow is just stunning! Fabulous creation, friend! HUGS and HAPPY NEW YEAR! :) Mynn xx

linda said...

fabulous! the stamp looks so textured, but even more so with the colours and i LOVE the bow!! welcome to the team.
linda HOC teamie

Toni said...

Love this! The stamp and the Brushos work so well together!

Glittered Paws said...

I am a "newbie" too to the HOC DT and love all the creative ideas. I got Brushos for Christmas and so far have enjoyed playing with them. Love #1 the stamp and #2 how you used your colors. Great job.

Karen Petitt said...

Way to start with a bang huni! Gorgeous card, wonderful use of the challenge photo too. Welcome to the HOC teammie, looking forward to seeing more of your gorgeous creations Karen x

Jane Knudsen said...

I love this card - the colors are my favorites! What a great debut for the HOC!! jane hoc dt

Dotty Jo x said...

Welcome to HOC! Love your début creation! Jo x HOC/DT friend

Irish Cherokee said...

Love your creative "Ugly Sweater" look. Gave me a bit smile as well. Special Creativity.

Jim

Sheryl said...

oooh this is right up my street! I love the colours you have used on that gorgeous background. Thanks for joining in the fun at Natalie and Amy's Challenge this month.
Hugs Sheryl DT member xx

Wendy Batchen said...

Great card, thanks for sharing with us at Sisters of Craft and good luck. Wendy DT x

Patricia Alvarez said...

Great card! I love the background. Thank you for sharing over Inspiration Destination. Good luck! Patricia

crafty said...

Lovely card. Thank you for joining in at Creative Corner. Hope to see you again.
Mary

Michele Henderson said...

I LIKE your ugly sweater! Really cute and creative idea for a textured card! The colors are amazing! Have a warm and crafty 2016!
Take care!
Michele

Jackie C said...

Love this entry, thank you for sharing with Creatalicious, Jackie CT member.

Em Louise Fairley said...

Welcome to the team, Leslie! Love your card.
Hugs,
Em, HOC teamie

Julie Odil said...

this is so fun! Love the ugly sweater! Thanks for joining our ATG challenge this time at Polkadoodles Challenge Blog. Julie, DT member

Jackie Maunder said...

Love how you've played with different media. Bet you had fun! Thanks for entering the Anything Goes Challenge at Polkadoodles, Jackie DT x

Ileana A. said...

Lovely creation! Bow is wonderful!
Thank-you for joining us at the Crafts Galore Encore Challenge January ATG.
Ileanaxx

PLISSA ADD said...

Hi Leslie! Asombrosamente hermosa textura... Amazing texture and background, i love the colors and combination. Thanks for sharing with us! Happy to see you. Paula.