Monday, May 11, 2015

"Time" mixed media canvas

Hi everyone! I'm super stoked to be hosting this week's StampTV Challenge! Thanks so much to Karen Hightower for inviting me to play! My challenge theme is "Stencil Me Pretty" so let's see at least one stencil on your project! Come play with us! If you aren't a member of StampTV, come on over and join - it's free and loads of fun!


I definitely had some inky fingers this weekend and along with the ink came lots of texture paste, gesso and pearl sprays! Didn't think I'd ever get my hands clean! LOL! But I loved every minute of it and I bet you can tell I'm smiling! ;) I see more of these in my future! I've done a few small mixed media pieces that I added to cards over the years, but this is actually my first mixed media canvas. I have to say I'm pretty proud of how it turned out. I went for distressed vintage. I used stamps from three GKD stamp sets along with three stencils, some chipboard elements, flowers and various other embellishments.


One of the stencils I used was Memory Box Mini Dots which you can see behind the fancy chipboard corner. I used the brick wall stamp from The Simple Thing stamp set to randomly stamp on the chipboard corner, then spritzed it with several Perfect Pearls Mists and embellished it with some WOC flowers. I used the text background stamp from the Botanicals stamp set to randomly stamp on the background prior to laying down the elements.


I gold embossed the pocket watch from the GKD Time stamp set duo and created a face with Glossy Accents, and added some ball chain which I grunged up with some gesso. You can also see some of the text background stamping.


I covered a pop-top with two coats of gesso and spritzed it with some Perfect Pearl Mist and added a pretty flower. Another stencil I used was Mini Time Travel, to which I added a watch hand that I stamped with the brick wall stamp, spritzed with Perfect Pearl Mists and grunged with a little gesso.


I really do l.o.v.e. this sentiment which I cut out with a SB die and inked with a brush and distress ink while it was still in the die. The third stencil used was the Mini Harlequin which you can just barely see over the top of the sentiment. The other portion of the Harlequin stencil is hidden by the pocket watch.


I created a little feather and flower bouquet which I embellished with several loops of twine. I stamped the chipboard feather with the text background stamp prior to spritzing it with several Perfect Pearl Mists. I was going to brush the flowers with a little gesso but decided the canvas needed a little pop of brighter color, so I left them alone.


I didn't take any photos of the outside edges, but I covered them with Tim Holtz tissue tape and used the stencils with texture paste, spritzed them with the Perfect Pearls Mists, then inked them to distress them. I plan to cover the back with some heavy 120# cardstock and have hubby add some screws and wire to hang this. :)

Proud to enter this canvas into the following challenges:

Recipe:
  • Stamps: GKD Time stamp set duo, GKD Botanicals and GKD The Simple Things
  • Ink: Ranger Vintage Photo and Walnut Stain distress ink, Memento Espresso Truffle, Versamark; Perfect Pearl Mists- Mandarin, Sunflower Sparkle, Kiwi, Perfect Copper, Pewter
  • Stencils: Crafter's Workshop Mini Time Travel and Mini Harlequin stencils, Memory Box Mini Dots stencil
  • Dies: Spellbinders A2 Matting Basics A
  • Accessories: 5x7 canvas, Ranger Super Fine Gold Embossing Powder, Studio Gesso, DecoArt Dimensional Effects, Wild Orchid Crafts flowers, pop top, Glossy Accents, Tim Holtz Idea-ology Ball Chain & Tissue Tape, Studios Blackbird Natural Twine, Chipboard Clock Hand, Bronze Brad, Paper Accents Chipboard Feather, Petaloo Large Chipboard Fancy Corner

I hope you've found a little inspiration to play in my stencil challenge this week over at StampTV! Any stamps, inks and embellishments can be used, but if you use GKD stamps exclusively, you play for a chance to win a grab bag of GKD goodies! Oh, so much fun! And remember, it's free to join StampTV! Hope to see you there! ;)
Hugs,
Leslie

27 comments:

  1. Wow, this your first mixed media canvas? It is beautiful. The colours are gorgeous and there are so many pretty elements to take in on the canvas. Great job. Thanks for playing along with our distress it challenge at Little Red Wagon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous card love the colour choice and your card design. Thanks for joining us at ABC, good luck with the challenge. hugs Shirleyxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful work of art! You have a whole lot of gorgeousness going on here. Thanks for playing with us at JUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goodness, that looks like a lot of work, but it really is beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing and joining us at Just Us Girls!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh stunning and perfect for our challenge at MMW!
    Hugs
    Donna DT xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love your mixed media! Thank you for sharing your gorgeous card at ABC Challenge! Hugs Julie DT xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah this is super, Thanks for sharing with us on MAWTT this week, Hazel (Didos) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely adore this mixed media creation. And you're right, that's the perfect sentiment for it! Thank you for playing in Craft Your Passion challenge this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great so many details and so lovely colours.
    Thanks for playing with us a Craft your Passion.
    Hope we see you again and good luck.
    xxx Michelle (DT)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous creation!! It has a great vintage feel, lots of texture and loving the soft colors. Fabulous Job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful!!! Thank you for joining us at 2 Crafty Girls, good luck!!! Amy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Leslie, this is a real work of art, it must have taken you so long to make but worth every moment.

    Thanks so much for sharing with us at FlonzCraft Vintage Stamping Challenges.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is GORGEOUS!!! Love all the texture and detail and the soft colors you used. Thanks for joining us over at Perfectly Rustics.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful mixed media work here! Love the swirls! Awesome background! Thank you for joining our challenge at Mixed Media World! Ingrid x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love how all the elements come together on our project, fantastic job. Thanks for joining us for the Perfectly Rustics use three of something challenge. Cathie DT

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another great project, I am sure you got nice and messy creating this. You have to make mess to create masterpieces. Thanks for joining us at Perfectly Rustics.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stunning project. Thank you so much for joining us at Craft Your Passion challenge.
    http://craftyourpassionchallenges.blogspot.com.au/
    Naz xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! You really outdid yourself on this one. It is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous canvas with lots of yummy stamping and texture.

    Thank you for sharing with us at Vintage Stamping Challenges.

    Warm crafty hugs from Shirl x x x
    ShirlsCards.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, such a stunning project! Love it! Such a great colour choice too! Thanks so much for adding it to our challenge at Mixed Media Monthly!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a stunning creation! Thanks so much for joining the May challenge at Mixed Media Mojo!
    Siv xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is an amazing project!! I love all the little details, but I especially love the little bouquet of flowers and feathers - it really does pop with color!! Thank you so much for playing along with us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous canvas! Love the sentiment. Thanks so much for joining us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is such a beautiful canvas. Thanks for playing along with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  25. A gorgeous canvas, thank you for sharing it with us at Mixed Media Mojo.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful canvas! Love all of the details. Thanks for joining us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful work! Love the textures! Thanks for playing along with Mixed Media Mojo!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting and taking the time to comment! I love reading them! Have an awesome day! :D