I definitely had some inky fingers this weekend and along with the ink came lots of texture paste, gesso and pearl sprays! Didn't think I'd ever get my hands clean! LOL! But I loved every minute of it and I bet you can tell I'm smiling! ;) I see more of these in my future! I've done a few small mixed media pieces that I added to cards over the years, but this is actually my first mixed media canvas. I have to say I'm pretty proud of how it turned out. I went for distressed vintage. I used stamps from three GKD stamp sets along with three stencils, some chipboard elements, flowers and various other embellishments.
One of the stencils I used was Memory Box Mini Dots which you can see behind the fancy chipboard corner. I used the brick wall stamp from The Simple Thing stamp set to randomly stamp on the chipboard corner, then spritzed it with several Perfect Pearls Mists and embellished it with some WOC flowers. I used the text background stamp from the Botanicals stamp set to randomly stamp on the background prior to laying down the elements.
I gold embossed the pocket watch from the GKD Time stamp set duo and created a face with Glossy Accents, and added some ball chain which I grunged up with some gesso. You can also see some of the text background stamping.
I covered a pop-top with two coats of gesso and spritzed it with some Perfect Pearl Mist and added a pretty flower. Another stencil I used was Mini Time Travel, to which I added a watch hand that I stamped with the brick wall stamp, spritzed with Perfect Pearl Mists and grunged with a little gesso.
I really do l.o.v.e. this sentiment which I cut out with a SB die and inked with a brush and distress ink while it was still in the die. The third stencil used was the Mini Harlequin which you can just barely see over the top of the sentiment. The other portion of the Harlequin stencil is hidden by the pocket watch.
I created a little feather and flower bouquet which I embellished with several loops of twine. I stamped the chipboard feather with the text background stamp prior to spritzing it with several Perfect Pearl Mists. I was going to brush the flowers with a little gesso but decided the canvas needed a little pop of brighter color, so I left them alone.
I didn't take any photos of the outside edges, but I covered them with Tim Holtz tissue tape and used the stencils with texture paste, spritzed them with the Perfect Pearls Mists, then inked them to distress them. I plan to cover the back with some heavy 120# cardstock and have hubby add some screws and wire to hang this. :)
Proud to enter this canvas into the following challenges:
- Mixed Media World: MMW#3 - Vintage
- 2 Crafty Girls: #3 - Vintage
- Little Red Wagon: #288 - Distress It!
- Vintage Stamping Challenges: #32 - Shabby Chic
- Not Just Cards: #19 - Always Anything Goes
- Perfectly Rustics: PR Design Challenge #47 - Use Three of Something (three stencils)
- ABC Challenges: I is for Inspire Us
- Craft Your Passion: #261 - Always Anything Goes
- Crafting From The Heart: #59 - Always Anything Goes
- Moving Along With The Times: Birds and/or Feathers (feather and flower bouquet)
- Mixed Media Monthly Challenge: #12 May Flowers
- Create Something Catchy Challenge Blog: #14 - Mixed Media
- Mixed Media Mojo: Happy May - Tic Tac Toe (gesso/stencil/chipboard and tape/chipboard/stamp)
- Craft My Life: All Crafts Challenge April/May
- Just Us Girls: #292 - Trend Week - Embossing
- Stamps: GKD Time stamp set duo, GKD Botanicals and GKD The Simple Things
- Ink: Ranger Vintage Photo and Walnut Stain distress ink, Memento Espresso Truffle, Versamark; Perfect Pearl Mists- Mandarin, Sunflower Sparkle, Kiwi, Perfect Copper, Pewter
- Stencils: Crafter's Workshop Mini Time Travel and Mini Harlequin stencils, Memory Box Mini Dots stencil
- Dies: Spellbinders A2 Matting Basics A
- Accessories: 5x7 canvas, Ranger Super Fine Gold Embossing Powder, Studio Gesso, DecoArt Dimensional Effects, Wild Orchid Crafts flowers, pop top, Glossy Accents, Tim Holtz Idea-ology Ball Chain & Tissue Tape, Studios Blackbird Natural Twine, Chipboard Clock Hand, Bronze Brad, Paper Accents Chipboard Feather, Petaloo Large Chipboard Fancy Corner
I hope you've found a little inspiration to play in my stencil challenge this week over at StampTV! Any stamps, inks and embellishments can be used, but if you use GKD stamps exclusively, you play for a chance to win a grab bag of GKD goodies! Oh, so much fun! And remember, it's free to join StampTV! Hope to see you there! ;)