Saturday, February 15, 2014

Mermaid In A Bottle

** 2/22/14 Top 3 at Shopping Our Stash! **

I've been so busy with personal commitments and other design team efforts that I feel like I've abandoned my post as guest designer for Bombshell Stamps! But I've gone "that extra mile" to make up for it... I've created a Mermaid In A Bottle! I've wanted to do this for a long time and finally have the perfect mermaid stamp, so I did it! I took my time with it and it took me a little over a week from start to finish.

Using the acetone-soaked twine with flame trick, I "cut" the wine bottle in two near the bottom. I cut a styrofoam ball in half and glued it into the bottom piece and filled the moat around the ball with clear glue. I sprinkled metallic blue, metallic seafoam and silver metallic micro marbles, as well as blue and green flock over the glue. I let it dry for several days and added a little more clear glue, micro marbles and flock to the sunken areas, and let it dry for several more days.


In the meantime, while the sea bottom was drying, I stamped the Bombshell mermaid, treasure chest and ship's wheel with sentiment on ivory cardstock and colored them with Copic markers. I used a Sakura Stardust pen on the mermaid's tail for added shimmer. I also used Deco Liquid Silver and Gold paint on the booty in the treasure chest. I attached the mermaid and the treasure chest to narrow pieces of clear cardstock and set them aside until final assembly. For the tag, I cut the ship's wheel and sentiment with a circle die and inked the edges, and set it aside.


I stamped the seaweed twice on clear cardstock and cut both clumps out. After a day's drying time, on the non-stamped side, I outlined the seaweed in green, teal and blue Stickles and sprinkled the blue and green flock on them while still wet. I let these dry for a couple days.


After a little over a week, it was finally time to assemble my project! I cut slits in the bottom and glued the mermaid, treasure chest and clumps of seaweed in place. I found some coral and fish stickers along with a tiny seashell in my stash which I thought were perfect additions to my sea bottom! I glued the top of the bottle back onto the bottom and let it dry for a day. I applied a narrow strip of clear packing tape around the seam and then wrapped the seam in twine.


I applied a bronze eyelet and jump ring to the tag, cut a small length of ball chain, and attached the tag to the bottle.


Yay! It was finally finished and I love how it turned out! My hubby is my biggest fan... he always compliments my projects and he loved this one too! ;)


I'm proud to enter my Mermaid In A Bottle into the following challenges:

Recipe:
  • GKD Pure Luxury Ivory cardstock; Heartfelt Creations clear cardstock
  • Bombshell Stamps Mermaid Treasure stamp set
  • Memento Tuxedo Black ink
  • Copics: E00/33/51/99, G24, C1, B02, V15, R85
  • Sakura Stardust pen
  • Ranger Walnut Stain Distress Ink
  • Spellbinders Classic Circles die
  • Tim Holtz Idea-ology ball chain and jump ring
  • Empty wine bottle
  • 1/2 styrofoam ball
  • Clear glue
  • Blockheads Metallic Blue, Metallic Seafoam and Silver Metallic micro marbles
  • Patina, Waterfall and Starry Night Stickles
  • Recollections Horizon and Cricket flock

I hope you like my Mermaid In A Bottle! To get your crafty mojo going, be sure to check out the coolest stamps in town... Bombshell Stamps! Thanks so much for stopping by today - we'll see you next time! ;)
Hugs,
Leslie

17 comments:

  1. A great creaion, thanks for joining us at Stamping sensations

    Francesca x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...so much work. And worth EVERY SINGLE BIT!!
    Leslie, this truly is outstanding. You should be so proud of your creations.
    hugs--
    Roberta
    Queen Bee Paper Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh Laurie, this is just BRILLIANT!!! Over-the-top creative and lovely. I am extremely impressed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really neat Leslie! A terrific idea and so beautifully done. Thanks for joining us this week at ATS&M.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome and creative project, Leslie. I'm blown away and blessed to have you share your art with us. Have a great week, and please stop by again soon.
    Karen
    Word Art Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is very clever Leslie, something really different and perfect for our theme.

    Thanks so much for sharing your creativity with us at Stamping Sensations challenge.

    I would love it if you joined in my Spellbinder blog celebration here

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy moly Leslie!!! This is all kinds of awesome!!! She's a beauty! Thanks for playing along with us at Shopping our Stash for the "Oh Shiny" challenge this week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness! This is the most wonderful project I have seen in a long time :) Thanks so much for sharing with us at Addicted to Stamps and More. We sure hope to see you again soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness! This is the most wonderful project I have seen in a long time :) Thanks so much for sharing with us at Addicted to Stamps and More. We sure hope to see you again soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing creation - thanks for joining us at the Crafty Girls Challenge.

    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm stalking, this project caught my eye a couple of days ago. WOW!!! You put a lot of work into this gorgeous project. The seaweed is amazing...okay, the whole project is amazing. Just the details impress me. Magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holy Crow! What a labor of love! Your mermaid in a bottle is incredible! Thanks for joining us at Shopping Our Stash!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! What a fabulous creation for our wings, fantasy and fiction theme! Thanks for joining us at stamping Sensations this month and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You get a rare wow from me too! This is just wonderful, such an original idea and perfectly executed. Thanks so much for joining in with us at Stamping Sensations this month. Maddy x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on your shout out at Shopping Our Stash, Leslie! I was excited to see your name there. This is the COOLEST creation!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting and taking the time to comment! I love reading them! Have an awesome day! :D