Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Love U

This month the Blockheads Paper Arts DT is showcasing projects made with Grungeboard! What FUN stuff! I've heard people talk about it but had never actually seen it or worked with it, and Blockheads graciously supplied our DT with some to play with! You've gotta check it out! :) My granddaughter, Gigi, will turn 10 years old in October and this mixed media card is for her, done in pink and purple with some silver pizzaz! This is SO her!

Of course, I had to play with the Grungeboard letters first, so I painted them with white Gesso. Using the DTP method, I inked the L, O, V and E with VersaMagic Pink Petunia dew drop ink, and the U with VersaMagic Purple Hydrangea dew drop ink. I put a couple drops each of Cranberry, Purple Twighlight, Eggplant and Silver Mixative Adirondack Alcohol Ink onto a felt square attached to the alcohol ink applicator tool, and tapped it onto each of the letters, turning it with each tap. I outlined each letter and colored the polka dots with a Tsukineko Fantastix brush tip applicator dipped in the Silver Mixative Alcohol Ink. I gave them a few minutes to dry, then pressed each of the letters onto the Versamark ink pad and embossed them with UTEE. OMG - I think I'm in love! ;) These turned out so awesome!

I cut a 4.25" x 5.5" ivory card base and stamped Happy Birthday (from Blockheads Verses Full Sheet) on the inside with the VersaMagic Pink Petunia dew drop ink. I cut a background piece of Studio sticky-back canvas (natural) and applied a very thin coat of Studio Painterly Pink paint. I used the heat tool to speed up the drying and then splattered some of the Silver Mixative Adirondack Alcohol Ink onto the canvas. I hit it with the heat tool again for a few seconds, and then tapped Memento Rhubarb Stalk ink onto the Blockheads Dot Stippler to create the mottled background. I hit it with the heat tool once again for a few seconds, then stamped text (from the Blockheads Backgrounds For All Occasions stamp set) in Ranger Dusty Concord distress ink several times down the length of the background.

I matted the canvas background on a piece of purple cardstock from my stash, then adhered it to the card base. I adhered the letters to the canvas along with some pink flat-back pearls. Even though the background was "busy", I still felt like the card was missing something so I got out the package of Petaloo Color Me Crazy flowers. I stamped the square ornamental stamp (from the Blockheads Grunge It Up stamp set) in Memento Rhubarb Stalk ink on one of the flowers and then inked the edges of the petals with the VersaMagic Purple Hydrangea dew drop ink. I spritzed the inked flower with a handmade Perfect Pearls Mist made with water and Perfect Pearl (white) powder in a Mini Mister, then hit it with the heat tool to dry it. I attached a fuzzy purple brad from my stash to the center of the flower, and adhered it to the card front. I  like how it turned out... kind of funky and hippie! Gigi will love it!

I'd love to enter this card into the following challenges:




A close-up of these super cool UTEE-embossed letters!





Thanks so much for stopping by today - we'll see you next time! ;)
Hugs,
Leslie

8 comments:

Lin said...

A fun mixed media piece, Leslie! Thanks for playing along with us at the Simon Says Stamp challenge this week!

Wedgie said...

Very pretty! Love all the pink!

Thank you for sharing at Sweet Stampin this week, Wedgie xxx

Sassy Raggedy said...

I love this wonderful card Leslie. The pink is lovely. joann sassy raggedy

p.s. I have candy on my blog and lots of it.

http://www.sassyraggedy.com/

Bea und Doreen said...

this is amazing. Love this style...looks so great
Many thanks for joining us at Sweet Stampin' this week
Doreen xx

mixamatoasties said...

Lovely.

Thanks for sharing at Sweet Stampin' this week.

Susan

Laurart said...

Gorgeous! Thanks for the inspirational ideas...I haven't used grungeboard yet and think I will have to give it a go after seeing how lovely this is! Lots of love from Laura xxxxx

Rocio Alba Gonzalez Photo said...

I tried using grungeboard once and it was such a tricky type of material to work with. Your project makes me want to try again though. Thanks for the tips! I love the photos of your family, too. =D

craftyteacher (Vikki) said...

I'm sure Gigi will love it- beautiful! Thanks for joining us at Card Makin Mamas. x