Saturday, January 26, 2013

Butterfly Sandal

The weather here in north Florida has been warm for this time of year (we've had several days at 70+ degrees already), so I decided to create a flirty shimmery butterfly sandal for my paper shoe collection! The Blockheads Paper Arts design team is showcasing butterfly-themed projects this month and I used butterfly stamps from the Blockheads Inspired By Nature and Nature Medallions stamp sets, background text stamp from the Blockheads Backgrounds Borders Full Sheet, and my own flip flop template for this DT inspiration project. What fun - sure wish I could make some in my size to wear! Hehehe!

The finished sandal is approximately 6" x 2.25". I cut out the sole and straps from ivory cardstock, and created the background by spritzing Fireworks! Bamboo Leaves craft ink spray mixed with water in a Mini Mister all over the pieces. I also spritzed an additional scrap piece of cardstock that the large butterfly embellishment between the straps will be stamped on. I sped up the drying process with my heat tool and then spritzed again with just the Fireworks! Bamboo Leaves craft ink spray (no water), dabbed the large spots with a wadded up paper towel and let air dry.

I stamped the text background from the Blockheads Backgrounds Borders Full Sheet with Memento Pear Tart ink at an angle down the entire sole, both straps and the scrap piece of cardstock. Using the medium size single butterfly stamp from the Blockheads Inspired By Nature stamp set and Memento Bamboo Leaves ink, I randomly stamped the butterfly all over the sole, turning it in a different direction with each impression. I then stamped the large single butterfly from the Blockheads Nature Medallions stamp set with Memento Bamboo Leaves ink on the scrap piece of cardstock that had also been spritzed and text stamped and cut it out. I embellished the straps with alternately placed dots of Bisque Liquid Pearls and green flat-back pearls, and then assembled the sandal.

I cut a second sole from the ivory cardstock and adhered it to the bottom of the embellished sole to hide the strap tabs and give it some extra support. I then cut an additional sole and heel from the Almost Leather product and adhered it to the bottom of the sandal to make it look more realistic. To complete the sandal, I adhered the large butterfly embellishment between the straps with a small piece of Kool Tak clear foam tape (roll). I'm totally lovin' this! ;)

Recipe:
  • Gina K Designs Pure Luxury ivory cardstock
  • Fireworks! Bamboo Leaves craft ink spray
  • Mini Mister
  • Blockheads Backgrounds Borders Full Sheet
  • Memento Pear Tart ink
  • Blockheads Inspired By Nature stamp set
  • Blockheads Nature Medallions stamp set
  • Memento Bamboo Leaves ink
  • Bisque Liquid Pearls
  • Want2Scrap green flat-back pearls
  • Kool Tak Clear Foam Tape (roll)
  • Comotion Almost Leather





Thanks so much for stopping by today - we'll see you next time! ;)
Hugs,
Leslie

3 comments:

  1. Leslie, this is SO cute!! What a great piece!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun project, Leslie! I'm so glad you linked your blog up to the Moxie Fab World Blogroll. It will be great to stop by and say "hello" from time to time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this project! TFS it again with us through the throwback thursday challenge!
    I have never done this shape so thanks for the inspiration, one more idea! thanks
    bibiana

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting and taking the time to comment! I love reading them! Have an awesome day! :D