Sunday, December 9, 2012

Canvas/Burlap Rustic Santa Decor

It's been another busy weekend that's gone by way too fast! I'm busting at the seams to post my newest Blockheads Paper Arts DT inspiration project that is part of our ongoing gift ideas showcase! The focal point of this 5" x 6" free-standing Christmas decoration is a Santa stamped on canvas with VersaCraft Real Black ink and colored with Ranger Distress Markers. I used stamps from the awesome Blockheads - An Illustrated Christmas and Winter Wonderland stamp sets. I also am very proud to report that I used scraps for the bulk of this project - foam board, burlap, cardstock and cardboard - which is very cool! I paper-pieced the holly leaves on his hat and blinged the holly berries with small red gemstones! To add to the rustic feel, I distressed the edges of the main base as well as the canvas Santa piece, and I even included two tiny branches in the flower spray from a tree in our yard! I absolutely love the way this turned out and am not so sure that I'll give it away as originally planned! It's adorning our mantle at the moment! ;)

This was super easy! I had a 2' long by 5" wide strip of foam board left over from another project, so I cut off a 6" long piece. I trimmed a scrap piece of caramel brown textured cardstock to fit the foam board, adhered it to the foam board and distressed the edges with Ranger Walnut Stain distress ink. I had one small hunk of burlap left over from a couple projects, which was just the right size, so I evened up the edges, frayed them and adhered the burlap to the base.

I stamped the Santa (from the Blockheads - An Illustrated Christmas stamp set) on a quarter sheet of Studio Sticky Back Natural Canvas with VersaCraft Real Black ink and colored his hat, beard and mustache with Ranger Distress Markers. I distressed the edges of the canvas with Ranger Walnut Stain ink, then matted the canvas piece to a scrap of dark brown cardstock. I wanted stability of the piece so I did not peel the sticky back off the canvas before I matted it. I affixed three flat head bronze eyelets to the right side of the matted canvas piece (two at the top and one at the bottom), then adhered it to the base, centered on the piece of burlap.

I stamped the upper left corner of the Santa again, twice, on a scrap of green cardstock with Memento Tuxedo Black ink and then cut out the holly leaves. I adhered them to his hat and affixed three small red gemstones for the holly berries. Using the small Happy Holidays stamp from the Blockheads Winter Wonderland stamp set, I masked off "Holidays" and stamped "Happy" on a scrap of ivory cardstock with Memento Rich Cocoa ink, then masked off "Happy" and stamped "Holidays" right beside it. I cut it using a Spellbinders Ribbon Banners die, distressed it haphazardly with Ranger Walnut Stain ink, and adhered it diagonally across the top left corner of the Santa canvas piece.




I created a flower spray with several WOC paper flowers (Gold Stickles added to the red flower), a light brown leaf die cut, two small twigs from a tree in our yard and some coiled brown DMC memory thread, and adhered the spray to the lower left corner of the Santa canvas piece.



I created an easel from a scrap piece of cardboard, 2.5" wide x 9" long, and scored it at .5", 4", 4.75" and 5.5". I creased the cardboard on the score lines, creating a triangle, and glued the .5" flap to the top inside of the triangle, then adhered the easel to the back of the base.


I'd love to enter my Rustic Santa Decor into the following challenges:

Recipe:
  • Scraps of foam board, burlap, caramel brown/light brown/dark brown/green/ivory cardstock; cardboard
  • Studio Sticky Back Natural Canvas
  • Santa stamp from the Blockheads - An Illustrated Christmas stamp set
  • VersaCraft Real Black ink
  • Ranger Distress Markers
  • Ranger Walnut Stain distress ink
  • Memento Tuxedo Black ink
  • Happy Holidays stamp from the Blockheads Winter Wonderland stamp set
  • Memento Rich Cocoa ink
  • Spellbinders Ribbon Banners die
  • Magnolia Doohickeys leaf die
  • Assorted Wild Orchid Crafts flowers
  • Gold Stickles; bronze eyelets; DMC Brown Memory Thread; small red gemstones; small twigs from tree in back yard

Thanks so much for stopping by today - we'll see you next time! ;)
Hugs,
Leslie

11 comments:

Alyce said...

Love this! A great design and the burlap looks lovely....loving the vintage tones :)

Kelly Schelske said...

Lovely Leslie!!

CRAZYCRAFTSHED said...

Gorgeous and fabulous card Leslie ,thankyou for joining us this week at Bearly Mine Challenges
Hugs Dianne xx

Joann Burton said...

Hi Leslie,
This is beautiful. Wonderful Santa and wonderful flowers. joann sassy raggedy

Jani said...

That's fab!
Thanks for joining us at CFAS!
Jani x

Julie said...

Lovely project. Thanks for joining us at Aud Sentiments and good luck with the dt call
Hugs,
Julie

Dragonlady said...

Fabulous creation, love the dimension and texture. Thanks for playing at Aud Sentiments and good luck with the DT call.

Hugs Ali x

Lisa Sumpter said...

Lovely! Thanks for playing along in our Christmas Projects challenge!

Lisa xox
PCJ DT

TC said...

Lovely vintage project.
Thanks for joining us at Aud sentiments this fortnight.
Hugs TC x

Sarah said...

This is so beautiful! Thank you for joining us at Whimsy Stamps x

tilly's crafts said...

what a gorgeous santa! Thanks for joining us at Whimsy Inspirations challenge! Kim (Digital Designer)