Sunday, March 11, 2012

My Honey

I thoroughly enjoyed creating this Blockheads Paper Arts DT inspiration project - my first experience with Perfect Pearls! I used the Perfect Pearls Naturals kit and the colors are just gorgeous! It was loads of fun and I'll definitely be playing with this again... soon! I also got to use the awesome Blockheads ATC Honey Bees and Inspired By Nature stamp sets which I just got and have been dying to use!

I cut a 5" x 5" card base from kraft cardstock, then distressed and inked the edges with Ranger walnut stain distress ink. I took a quarter sheet of plain white cardstock and spritzed diluted Tsukineko Eucalyptus walnut ink (in a mini mister) all over it. I used a wadded up paper towel with just a tiny bit of dark brown Tsukineko ink sprayed on it to blot the piece, which left a light veiny impression everywhere I randomly blotted. Really cool! I hit it with the heat tool to make sure it got good and dry before stamping. I then inked up the bee hive stamp with Perfect Medium and stamped it on the background piece I made. Using the small brush in the kit, I applied rust Perfect Pearls to the bee and a few random spots on the hive, then applied kiwi Perfect Pearls on the rest of the design, and used the large brush to remove the excess medium from the design. I stamped a smaller honey bee on the upper right of the design, and colored the abdomen with a Copic marker so it would stand out. I highlighted the wings of both bees with a Sakura stardust pen. I trimmed the left and right edges and adhered the piece to a slightly larger piece of gold shimmer cardstock trimmed to fit the width of my card base. I distressed the left and right outer edges and tore the top and bottom, through both thicknesses, inked all four edges, and then adhered the unit to the card base. Using a strip of Blockheads 1/8" Tacky Red Tape, I hapazardly placed a piece of twine ribbon along the left edge, leaving the edges raw. I stamped the "my honey" sentiment with Versamark and embossed it with a rust colored embossing powder that matched the color of the bee. I cut the sentiment out using a Spellbinders Label Eight die, cut the bottom off and tucked it vertically under the edge of the ribbon on the left side. I love vertically-placed sentiments! I stamped a small flower from the with Versamark twice, once on pink and once on gold shimmer cardstock, along with two leaves on green shimmer cardstock, and embossed them all with gold embossing powder. Then I "fussy" cut (as my friend Karen says) the pink flower, gold center and both leaves, attaching the yellow center to the pink flower and arranging the leaves, and then adhered them on top of the twine ribbon at the top of the card. I finished it off with three orange sherbet flat-back pearls randomly placed on the ribbon, and four gold flat-back pearls on the bottom right. The inside is blank.

Recipe:
  • Gina K Designs Pure Luxury white cardstock; DCWV gold, pink and green shimmer cardstock
  • Bee hive, small bee and sentiment from the Blockheads Honey Bees stamp set
  • Small flower and leaves from the Blockheads Inspired By Nature stamp set
  • Perfect Pearls Naturals kit
  • Memento rich cocoa ink
  • Copics: E35
  • Sakura stardust pen
  • Versamark; rust embossing powder
  • Tsukineko Walnut and Eucalyptus spray walnut inks
  • Ranger Walnut Stain distress ink
  • Spellbinders Labels Eight die
  • Blockheads 1/8" Tacky Red Tape
  • Twine ribbon; orange sherbet and gold flat-back pearls


Thanks so much for stopping by - see you next time!
Hugs,
Leslie

5 comments:

  1. Leslie, you did a FAB job with those pearls and that honey bee set! I ordered that set, too, but have not played with it yet. I own some Perfect Pearls from a yard sale, and have never tried them. You inspired me...this turned out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool, Leslie!! Love the honeycomb background and colors used for the background. Good fiber choice too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leslie I love what you did with the ribbon. I always tend to just lay it flat, but the uneveness of it is way more interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your distressed and torn effects and use of the pearls and the twine ribbon is the perfect touch! Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting and taking the time to comment! I love reading them! Have an awesome day! :D