My Scrappy Friends

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Faeries Note Card Set

I was in the scrap room just about all day yesterday and got six cards made! Woo-hoo! Two of them are for two other DTs I'm on, and the other four are a really cool set of "Faeries" note cards which I made as an inspiration project to coincide with this month's Blockheads Paper Arts Challenge - Bleach Technique Blog Hop which I am hosting! More bleaching fun - you've got to check it out! I used two stamps (the bugle-blowing fairy and sentiment) from the Blockheads Whimsical-Faerie Wings stamp set. I absolutely love this set - it's so much fun to work with! I embossed her, which was the first time I've ever wet embossed anything as large as this, so I was pleased that I got fairly decent Versamark coverage! I bleached her wings then colored them a different color on each card, to coordinate with the background piece which I dry embossed and sanded to bring out the white core. I originally planned to bleach the embossed areas but it just didn't look right, so I ended up sanding them instead! Whatever works! :)

To take our challenge, visit the Blockheads Bleach Rubber Stamping Technique page to see my tutorial for creating a card using household bleach. Then create your own out-of-the-box project, create a blog post that includes the link code (this creates links to other participants), then submit your URL by clicking the button below. To be fair to all participants, links that don't include the code will be removed. Submit your URL by March 21st for a chance to win a $25 gift certificate! The winner will be selected by our Design Team.

Here is the code to paste into the html tag at the very bottom of your post:
<!-- start InLinkz script -->
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.inlinkz.com/cs.php?id=131337"></script>
<!-- end InLinkz script -->

For each card, I stamped the fairy on cardstock with Versamark and embossed it with a coordinating color of embossing powder. I cut out the image in a rectangular shape and cut the corners with my Tonic ticket punch, then bleached the wings using a Fantastix brush point tip applicator and household bleach in a small dish. After the bleach was dry, I colored the wings in a contrasting color with Marvy Uchida brush tip water-based markers, then hit it with a Sakura stardust pen. I then mounted the image on white cardstock that I had sponged the edges of with antique linen distress ink. I cut my card base from white cardstock, cut the corners with the Tonic ticket punch and sponged the edges with antique linen distress ink. I cut a background piece of cardstock (coordinating the color with the fairy wings), cut the corners with the Tonic ticket punch and ran it through the Big Shot with the Cuttlebug Swirls embossing folder. I opened the embossing folder and while the cardstock was still on the impressed side, I sanded the surface of the embossed areas. I adhered ribbon (using 1/8" Blockheads Tacky Red Tape) angled across the right lower corner of the embossed background piece, then adhered the unit to the card base. I stamped the "Faeries" sentiment in Memento tuxedo black ink on white cardstock, cut it out using a Spellbinders petite scalloped oval die and embossed it, then sponged antique linen distress ink while it was still in the die. I popped it out of the die and mounted it on the right lower corner with dimensional pads. I then crafted three rolled flowers from the same cardstock used for the background and mounted them on the left lower corner. I finished the cards with either pearls or bling in the left upper corner. The inside of each card is blank.




Recipe:
  • Gina K Designs Pure Luxury white cardstock; navy blue, burgundy, brown and dark green cardstock
  • Yellow, green, pink and orange textured cardstock with white core
  • Ranger antique linen distress ink
  • Fairy and sentiment stamps from the Blockheads Whimsical-Faerie Wings stamp set
  • Versamark; navy blue, burgundy, bronze and dark green embossing powder
  • Household bleach; in a small dish; Fantastix brush point tip applicator
  • Marvy Uchida brush tip water-based markers; Sakura stardust pen
  • Cuttlebug Swirls embossing folder
  • Sanding block
  • Spellbinders petite scalloped oval die
  • Memento tuxedo black ink
  • Sizzix 3-D flower die
  • McGill petite petals punch
  • Liquid Pearls
  • 1/8" Blockheads Tacky Red Tape
  • Various ribbons, flat-back pearls and gemstones

Thanks so much for stopping by - see you next time!
Hugs,
Leslie


6 comments:

Colleen Dietrich said...

Leslie, these are gorgeous! I love that you created a whole set, with each one in different colors.

Karen McAlpine said...

Ohh, they did turn out cool. Love those flowers too!!

Leigh S-B - The Sharpie Domino Queen said...

Oh WOW! Those are awesome, I love all the colours!

trisha too said...

Saw these on the Blockheads blog, Leslie--SOOOO cute!!

:)

Evelyn S. said...

What delighful cards! Love that darling fairy in all her different looks. Thanks for hosting this challenge!

Chrissie said...

Fabulous cards Leslie!
The fairies look fab!
Chrissie